Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Are You Ready For This?

"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account." - Heb. 4:13-14

“Pat! Come here quick!”

“What?”

“Hurry, I’ve got something to show you!”

I rushed into Trauma Room-1. An attentive crowd stood around the gurney. I didn’t find that unusual—that particular ER belongs to a teaching hospital, so it’s quite common to find people standing around watching the ER docs work—but as we pushed into the room I noticed something wrong.

“Are you ready for this?” my associate whispered. “Look.”

The crowd parted. I felt my jaw drop. A beautiful young woman lay on the gurney in the center of the room. She was about eighteen years old, with long blond hair and a magnificent figure laid bare for everyone in the room to see. I had to force myself to look away. I glanced around me at the other people in the room, stunned. The physicians and nurses were justified in being there, of course, but the rest? Most of the rest of the people in the room were men, and they just stood there. Gawking.

Now I’m no pious, self-righteous, super Christian, believe me. I’m a healthy American male who appreciates female beauty as much as any man alive, but what I saw there that day bothered me. That poor girl was totally naked, and totally defenseless, and I’m sure, if she had been alert to what was going on around her at the time, she would have been totally humiliated.

But she is not alone. We all have it coming. Like her body, our hearts will be laid bare for everyone to see and there will be no place to hide. It’s called Judgment Day, a day when each and every one of us must stand before the Lord and give an accounting for all we have done. And no deed, no thought, no ill-conceived fantasy or spoken word will remain hidden. Each of us will be exposed exactly as we are.

Rev 6:2 I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.

Rev 20:11-15 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

*

Can you picture that white horse? Can you see its rider? The one with the blazing eyes and the head with many crowns? Well get ready. He’s the King of Kings—Jesus Christ. He’s coming for His people, and when He gets here every knee will bow and every tongue confess that He is Lord. If you know Him you have nothing to fear. He’s already been laid bare. He faced death so that you won’t have to.

Do you know Him? Has he already written your name in the Book of Life? Jesus is coming, you know. Are you ready for this?

* * *

No comments: