Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fight for Position. Fight!

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Ps 23:1-4


Total loyalty. Total trust. Total dependence.

Every time I read Psalm 23 I imagine a flock of sheep fighting for position. They push, they struggle, each trying his best to draw close to the shepherd’s leg while an army of angry red eyes glares at them from the darkness. They hear vicious growling, angry pawing, and the relentless snarling of hungry creatures eager to tear at their soft pink flesh. But the flock remains safe. It grazes in perfect peace, totally aware of the dangers but secure in the knowledge that the shepherd is keeping watch, his rod and staff in hand.

What a beautiful image. No scripture encourages me more, but when I realize that it was written for me, about me, it fills me with understanding.

We are those sheep.

We live in a dangerous world, surrounded by terror. Evil men plot against us, to maim us, to kill us, and to destroy our way of life. Follow the world, stray off of God’s chosen path, and, in the end, we will be dragged down a road of destruction with the eternal darkness of hell at the end. Yes, death is all around us and it can strike at any moment. So what are we to do? Where is our shepherd? Who will raise his staff to fight on our behalf?

Do you know the answer?

*

Well this week as you remember the tragedy of 9/11, keep that question in mind, for on that terrible day seven years ago, 2,983 of our brothers and sisters felt the wolves’ teeth tear into their flesh. Evil attacked. And innocent people died.

A cruel picture? You bet it is, but it’s one we must never forget. And if we learn nothing else from their needless sacrifice, let us learn this: Like sheep, we are all vulnerable. We need a shepherd. We need salvation from this lost and dying world.

None of us knows when our time will come, no one knows the exact hour, so before you go to work tomorrow I want you to say a prayer. Ask the Lord Jesus Christ to walk into your life. He is the Great Shepherd. He’s our rock, our fortress against the dangers of this world. Just ask Him. He will gladly come in. And then, when the darkness closes in, when the killing wolves attack, draw as close to Him as you possibly can. Fight for position. Fight! And when your time comes—when it’s your turn to walk into that Valley of the Shadow of Death—your shepherd will be standing by your side. His rod and his staff, they will protect you!

*

In memory of the first responders who died that terrible day—the police officers, the firefighters, the EMT’s and the paramedics…

You didn’t realize when you went to work that morning that your life would be demanded of you, but you would have gone anyway. I know it! You were heroes, each and every one of you. Jesus said, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." And that is exactly what you did. My God, what devotion! May God hold a special place in His Kingdom just for you. May you dwell in the shadow of the Almighty for all eternity, safe and secure in the Shepherd’s right hand.

* * *

No comments: